Tuesday, June 28, 2011

vanilla chocolate-chip cupcakes!


My good friend Vanessa just turned 26 (on June 26th! Golden birthday!). For her birthday, her friends came to our softball game! I wanted to make cupcakes that fit the theme and that everyone would eat (since I'm the only vegan in the group). Here's the recipe!

1 cup organic unrefined sugar
1/2 cup earth balance buttery sticks
ener-g egg replacer for 2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (I LOVE the Singing Dog brand)
1 1/2 cups organic all purpose flour
1 pinch of sea salt (pink himalayan is delicious!)
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup organic non-dairy milk (I use earth balance soymilk)
1/2 cup organic non-dairy chocolate chips (sunspire makes pretty tasty vegan chocolate chips)


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a muffin tin (I use spectrum coconut oil spray!).
In a medium bowl, cream together the organic sugar and earth balance. Beat in the egg replacer, then add the vanilla.
Combine the flour, baking powder, and pinch of salt. Add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Add the milk and chocolate chips and mix until batter is smooth.
Pour or spoon batter into the muffin tin.
Bake for 20 minutes.

These cupcakes are not very light/fluffy; they are more similar to a pound cake. This was not what I expected when I made them, but I ended up really liking them this way. Hopefully you will too!

As far as the frosting goes, I just mixed earth balance, organic powdered sugar, milk, salt, and vanilla extract until I was happy with the taste/consistency. After that, I used a colored gel tube (while this tube was vegan, it was not natural and I wouldn't normally use it, but these cupcakes needed to be special!) to create the softball laces. I am a terrible decorator as you can tell, but my heart was in the right place! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment